What is a dental crown?
If one of your teeth is damaged or decayed, Dr. Guarnieri may recommend a dental crown in Longwood, Florida. A dental crown, which is tooth shaped, is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and appearance. When cemented in place, the dental crown will cover and protect the entire visible part of the tooth.
How long will my dental crown last?
Dental crowns last from 5 to 15 years, on average. The length of time the dental crown lasts is dependent on the amount of wear and tear the crown is exposed to. The life span of the crown also depends on your oral hygiene practices and personal mouth-related habits. Please avoid grinding or clenching your teeth, chewing on ice, biting your fingernails, and using your teeth to open things, as these habits can wear down or damage your crown.
When is a dental crown needed?
There are many situations in which our dentist may recommend a dental crown. A crown can help in situations like the following:
– Protecting a tooth from breaking or holding a cracked tooth together
– Restoring a broken or worn down tooth
– Supporting a tooth with a large filling and not much remaining tooth structure
– Anchoring a dental bridge
– Covering a misshapen or badly stained tooth
– Improving the appearance of a tooth
We encourage you to contact Dental Partners Longwood today to learn more about crowns and to schedule your next visit.